The consulate said that it was made aware of the security incident following a report by Fox News that said that two grenades were thrown at the US consulate Friday night. In a statement on the consulate’s Facebook page, they said that no one was hurt in the incident. They said: “The Consulate was closed at the time and there were no injuries.
“US and Mexican officials are investigating.”
A former special agent that was in charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration’s (DEA) Special Operations Division, Derek Maltz, told Fox News that there was “unconfirmed information” last week that members of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG) had threatened to bomb the US embassy or consulate in Mexico.
Municipal police claimed on Friday that there had been a “false alarm” on Thursday and that they had found firecrackers.
One source told Fox News: “Sounds like a test run.”
READ MORE: Man ‘who laundered money for drug lord El Chapo’ arrested in Mexico
Mr Maltz added that it was possible that a rival of CJNG had carried out the attack as a way of defaming the group.
However, the leader of CJNG El Mencho, is still the most wanted man in Mexico.
Mr Maltz said: “CJNG is responsible for sending numerous tons of cocaine, methamphetamine and fentanyl/heroin into the United States.
“Like the Sinaloa Cartel which was headed by Chapo Guzman, the CJNG operates around the world and has expanded operations beyond the U.S. to Europe, Australia and Asia.”
El Mencho was designated as a kingpin by the US Treasury Department.
There is a $10million (£7.8million) for his capture.
Mr Maltz said: “The latest information is that the CJNG is extremely violent and also concerned they have lost money on the human smuggling business in Mexico recently due to the caravans.
“When the migrants are moving in larger caravans being protected by government officials the cartels are losing money, which is causing some anxiety over lost revenue.”
Both Mexican and US officials have not alluded to any possible suspects.